Thursday, September 9, 2010

Professional Books

When Natalie was born, I realized that now is a wonderful opportunity for me to read books about my trade without course work or grading getting in the way. However, its been a year, and I haven't read anything yet. A large part of this reason is that I spent a fair amount of time reading child care books. I've also just enjoyed reading lots of books for entertainment. But now, I want to start taking advantage of this time. It won't be that long from now that Natalie starts dropping naps or that, if all goes according to plan, I'll have a second child.

So, I've inter-library loan requested two books on teaching.

The first is Alfie Kohn's The Homework Myth. In my grad work, we read a couple articles by Kohn, and I really agreed with his ideas. Where I gave a significant amount of homework (mostly reading and writing papers, assignments that would take forever to complete if not worked on outside the classroom), I'm interested in his argument. However, I'm a little concerned that this book will center around younger students. I chose this book because unlike most of my education to-read list, it is not as practical.

The second book I chose is a more of a fluff book: Fires in the Bathroom by Kathleen Cushman. It is a compilation student advice for teachers. I except not to gain tremendous insight from this book, but I am still curious about what students have to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment