Saturday, June 15, 2013

Whenever grade an assignment, appropriately mark the quarter rubric.

Continue to use tradition book for ease of looking at class date, missing assignments, and computer data entry.

Make a binder with a quarter rubric for each student. Each assignment should connect to a standard on the quarter rubric. When grade, mark the appropriate descriptions. I'm imagining this like check marks. Probably should color code by date to map progress on a standard. Could place check actually on descriptor words. At the end of the quarter, will be faster, easier, and more accurate to determine quarter score.

This will pivot on strong quarterly planning. Need to have clear goals for each quarter and a well made rubric at the start. If I can do that, then this process should help force me to keep all assignments relevant to our goals. Also, focusing on a fewer skills to keep grading more manageable would mean slowing down. I could really go deeper on vocabulary (both content and reading) or use a true gradual release over weeks instead of days.

For progress, I could photocopy the rubrics. Also at quarter's end I would photocopy, and then save a rubric and send one home. The organized data should make summarizing a students progress (or lack of) easier.

Excited about this idea. It seems to be a tool that would have made teaching much easier. I hope that my new position will allow the necessary freedom to do it, and that I will be hired with enough time to plan. I can envision this work easily with my old curriculum for 9th grade, but wonder how it would look with new material at a new school or grade level.

No comments:

Post a Comment