Wednesday, February 20, 2013

What Makes a Good (or Great) Reading Conference?





This is a handout I gave my students to help them understand reading workshop conferencing. 
 

The Basics:
  • Show that you know what's happening in your book THEN go beyond the plot.
  • Show me you are thinking!
  • Back up what you say with references to specific things in the book. 

When to ask for a conference:
When you are stuck
When you finish a book
When you are not sure if you should abandon a book
When you have a question about reading
When you have an exciting idea
When you feel like I might being over looking you (Sorry!)

What to say about plot:
  • When I ask you what is happening in your book, tell me concisely.  Focus on the most important events or characters.  I don't need a blow by blow recap.  
  • Answer my questions about the plot.  If you can't answer, tell me why.  
  • Remember that I want to know more than the plot, I want to know what your thinking.  If you take a ton of time just retelling plot, we don't have time left for me to hear about or ask questions about your thinking. 

What to talk about in a conference:
  • Tell me why you like or don't like the book you are reading
  • Explain how things like flashbacks, point of view switches, breaks in the text, use of italics or punctuation affect the book and / or your experience reading it
  • Describe the author's writing style and explain how it affects the book and / or your experience reading it
  • Explain how the format of the book (poems, short stories, letters, IMs, emails, etc) affects the book and / or your experience reading it
  • Explain how literature or poetic devices affect the book and / or  your experience reading it
  • Tell me why you are stuck
  • Explain to me how you got unstuck
  • Share with me questions you have about the book (whether you think I can answer them or not)
  • Share predictions with me and why you have them
  • Share if your predictions are right or wrong
  • Make connections to your book between your experiences, other books you've read, or real world events past or present
  • Explain to me the significance of the title or cover of your book
  • Explain to me why you chose your book
  • Explain to me if a book is meeting your expectations or not
  • Explain to me why you chose to abandon a book
  • Share with me new things you learned from your book (not just for non-fiction!)
  • Share with me what you got out of the book overall
  • Explain to me what you think the author's message or purpose was for the book
  • Tell me if the book changed how you think
  • Tell me if the book changed or questioned your values or beliefs
  • If it is a frequently challenged book, share your thoughts on that with me
  • Compare and contrast the book to its film adaptation

When in doubt, refer to the rubric for the quarter! 

No comments:

Post a Comment