Sunday, May 25, 2014

White Washing Teachers

I don't plan to return to work for two years, but I still think about my job application process from time to time. One topic heavy on my mind is how being myself could prevent me from getting a job. When I was hired at my first (and only) position, I was twenty-three and did not yet hold any strong views about really almost anything.  That is not the case now.  I have views about education, politics, feminism, and censorship that I don't wish to hide excepting the moments that I am acting solely as The Teacher.  Even then, there are still some ideas I never intend to hide. 

I've been thinking about this in two aspects recently.

One area of concern is my ability to share any ideas remotely sexual.  While blogging for the Crunchy Moms web site, I found myself wanting to write about the connection between breastfeeding and reduced libido.  This was appropriate for a natural parenting site, but it implies that I have sex and mentions the use of my breasts, and thus clashes with the societal belief that teachers should be asexual. I never wound up writing that article.  I found myself censored even though I'm not currently employed.  Can I share that I think that mildly dirty joke is funny?  Can I comment that that celebrity is hot, especially if he is young?  These topics are just the fluff of social media.  What about my views on rape culture and gender roles?  Or what about sharing information about my own body (be it breastfeeding, child birth, or actual sex) on my own private social media accounts with those I trust?  Do I need to worry that my privacy will be violated, not just in a perspective employer scouring my social media accounts for objectionable content, but also in an actual employer telling me I can not communicate about what I wish with who I wish? 

The second aspect is my beliefs about education and the related politics.  This one at least makes sense since it would be related to my job. I can see the point of view that I should not be speaking against my employer, but then I read this: The Deafening Silence of Teachers

I am lucky that the recent huge education reforms hit while I am not employed, but am still invested in education for my children.  Currently, I can speak out in any fashion I wish about reform and don't have to fear about repercussions at my job.  But, will any public statements I make now affect my ability to be employed later?  Currently, my stance on reforms is only visible on my private FB account and a public few blogs, both of which I could scrub clean prior to sending out resumes. (I know the internet is forever, but is a school district in basically rural Maine going to hire a hacker to dig up my past keystrokes?)  But, what if I choose to become more actively involved within my children's school district, which maybe the district I need to seek employment in soon?  While I agree that my employment should require that I am a good match for the school, should I be denied a position because I don't agree with the current reform fads?  Does my disagreement on ed reform have any bearing on my ability to preform my job?  Doesn't refusing to hiring me just further silence teachers?

At the present, I am pushing forward with sharing my views on current education reforms.  Its possible that I will financially regret this decision in a few years time, but I don't think I will have any regrets in terms of integrity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment